Thursday, March 16, 2006

Did you know that you're a feminist when....

both boys and girls like the same things, such as video games?

After a longish talk about equal rights and yes, the word 'feminism' finally came up, that's what it boils down to folks.

And Peanut told me that if his dad didn't believe the same way, that's okay because he'll just annoy him. I can't wait for his dad to hear that one. I'll bet Peanut using the "f-word" will warrant actual dialogue between me and my ex-husband.

******

This evening, while eating dinner, Peanut decided to read my shirt, which is a long sleeve This is What a Feminist Looks Like hoodie I've been wearing all day.

When he finished reading it, he sat back down, looked at Niece and said:

"Niece, did you know you're a feminist, too?"

The look on her face was priceless - it was a "What the hell are you talking about?" look.

"Yeah, you are because you and me like the same things, like playing video games and stuff."

I looked at Niece and said, "What he means, is that anyone who believes boys and girls should be treated equally and the same are feminists."

She relaxed a bit after that.

They then moved on to other things like it's okay for a boy to have long hair, be a boy yet play with barbie's and it's okay if girls want to play with guns and play video games.

Yes, Peanut is hung up on them video games.

******

Later, in the bath, I was washing the shampoo out of Niece's hair with this giant cup we keep specifically for that purpose.

Niece: "My eyes don't like being in this situation."
Me: stopping for a second to look at her, "What did you just say?"
Niece: "My eyes don't like being in this situation."
Me: "And what situation would that be exactly?"
Niece: "Closed. They don't like being closed all that much."
Me: "Then how do you sleep?"


Ahhhh, kids. . . you gotta love 'em.