Monday, March 13, 2006

Kid-Tested and Kid-Approved Recipes

One was recently tried by Flea, JT and Orange over the weekend and was a big hit. There is something to be said about green noodles and 8-legged hot dogs that make a kid want to eat their lunch/dinner in its entirety without complaint.

Octopus hotdogs with Seaweed

This is very easy to make so I'm sure all y'all with kids will surely appreciate it.

Cook a package of ramen noodles using the directions on the back, but add green food coloring which dyes the noodles green, creating the seaweed effect.

Take as many raw hotdogs you will need, cut "tentacles" half the length of the hotdog (we end up with only 4 each time). Boil 'til hotdogs are done, in which time the "tentacles" will curl.

Put a pile of noodles on a plate, place an upright Octopus in the middle, put ketchup eyes and voila, you're finished.

The first time my sister made this for our kids, they were excited and ate every single bite. It works every time and adds a bit of fun to the meal.


Hot Dog Rollup

Another easy meal, which you can add sour cream and/or salsa to at your prerogative.

Need: flour tortilla shells, shredded cheese and hotdogs

Boil the hotdogs or zap them in the microwave like we tend to do. Again, it's your preference.

Take 1 flour tortilla, sprinkle with the desired amount of shredded cheese, zap in the microwave for appx 15 seconds or until cheese it almost melted.

Place a boiled or already warmed hotdog on one edge of the tortilla and roll up.

Serve to your children’s with Juicey Juice and whatever they want as their sides. My niece eats them with sour cream and sometimes salsa whereas Peanut likes them plain. I'm sure there are some kids out there who like lettuce and stuff, lol.


American Chop Suey

Okay, this is gonna sound gross, but it's really delicious. My mom grew up on this meal because there were 6 kids and 2 adults in her family to feed and this meal could then be fixed cheap. Now the potatoes alone cost $5.

Need: 1lb turkey meat, veggie crumbles or good 'ol beef, it's up to you; 1 large can of Spaghettio's or 2 smaller cans, 1 potato for each diner, I'll usually throw in 2 or 3 extras because Peanut and I love mashed potatoes (we don't use flakes, ever!)

Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks, put in a pot to boil

While they are boiling, brown whatever meat choice you have. When this is done, drain any extra grease though there are some turkey meat brands that don't give off any. Dump the can of Spaghettio's into the meat, mixing thoroughly. Cover and let simmer while you fix the potatoes.

By this time, the potatoes are usually done. Drain and place into a mixing bowl. Smash them up nice and smooth-like, adding milk, butter, salt and pepper as needed. I highly recommend using real mashed potatoes for this, not flakes, because the taste is much much better.

Whenever you say American Chop Suey to Peanut or my Niece, both start jumping up and down while shouting Yahoo! This meal is what Peanut requested for his birthday dinner. Seriously. And he's a pain in the ass to get to try anything new or eat things all smooshed together like that.


So that's it for now. I'm sure there are others and I'll post them when I think about it. Perhaps I'll get my head together and write down my mom's recipe for Mac-n-Cheese and her, much better, Tuna Casserole. I really was dissappointed when I found out the way everyone else makes it is with Cream of Mushroom soap, onion flakes and not that much tuna. We make ours with potatoes and cheese sauce!

Oh, if you don't understand anything or need things made clearer, just ask. I've made these all so many times I could probably do it blindfolded.