Friday, May 26, 2006

Out of Aggravation Came Promise

I woke up this morning at 7am on the dot, mostly because my alarm told me to. It usually rings at 6:30 but apparently I hit the snooze button and went back to sleep, which I don't remember doing.

Jumping up, I woke Peanut who then bounced out of bed saying, "I'm going to get dressed downstairs." Then he called from the closet, "Mom, what kind of temperature is it today?" When he heard my response of "tshirt and shorts," I heard a Woohoo then clomps down the stairs as he descended. It's his new routine to go hang out with my mom, watch Arthur and get dressed while she heats up Ego Mini's for him. He loves the dunk appeal.

At 7:30 we left the house to pick up Kazu. He loves going for rides and walks so that's quickly becoming one way to get through to him and get him socialized. I gave him a bath last Saturday which he didn't particularly like, but afterwards I could tell did him a world of good in the physical therapy sense. He walks hunched and pulls something terrible though, as if always expecting the worst. Think of cops barging into a house, guns drawn, tag-teaming corners and large empty rooms; that's the same kind of cautious behavior Kazu exhibits all the time. I know that if I were to ever accidently let go of the leash, he'd be long gone with no hopes of a return.

Anyway, I had to get gas after I got Kazu, but that wasn't the problem. It's Memorial Day weekend and everyone and their sister is out on the roads. Yesterday I sat in traffic for 25 min while people rubbernecked and this morning I sat in traffic for 15 min for a reason I didn't get to see. That might not seem like a long time to those of you accustomed to DC-like traffic, but it's a long time when you don't have the time to give.

So I got to Prevent a Litter at 8:45 instead of 8:30, dropped Kazu off and explained how not cat-friendly he is (to the point that we know he'll kill them in one snap) and that he's shy, but not the biting kind of shy. The guy is wonderful; he even gave me 2 kisses on the way in and started acting puppyish (he's only 2) which made me very happy. Heck, he even kissed Peanut's hand just a little which made Peanut very happy.

I made appointments for the 3 kittens we now have and for Nascar's kittens and Casper. Then I got to leave.

We got in the car; I had 5 min to get Peanut to school on time. We made it considering his school is literally 2 blocks behind Prevent a Litter but sometimes traffic in Carytown can be a bit much, even that early in the morning.

I dropped Peanut off in the hallway that led to his class then walked into the cafeteria to give the lunch lady some money for his breakfast/lunches. Just as she saw me she said, "You're baby is out of money."

She laughed when I pulled out a check for $20.00 courtesy of my mom who sometimes helps me with money for Peanut since damn, I just don't have much. (But not for long!)

Then I hauled ass to my parking spot for work, walked the 6 blocks or so to the bus and finally arrived here at 9:40am.

So yeah, it was a harried morning but I got to recieve kisses from Kazu and see him act puppyish if even just for a second.

That made the whole morning worth it for me. :)