Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Catching up on some reading....

It's been a crazy week at work so far as I begin to prepare for my departure. I don't want to leave my boss in a weak spot so I need to get things to a more organized stopping point. So it's been slow-blogging during this transition.

Anyhow, on to bigger, better and seemingly more important matters!

Originally reported last week, King Abdullah has asked that various Saudi media discontinue publishing pictures of women and girls as they could cause men to go astray.

Seriously?

Given that Saudi women can't drive and or be outside without the abaya, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise. My main thought is that really, when are they going to teach men the same thing I teach my son nearly everyday, "They are the only one who can control their actions."

But, this week, King Abdullah says he was misquoted.

The official, who heard Abdullah speaking to the journalists, said: “The king was referring to indecent pictures in general and not women’s pictures in particular. He didn’t allude to women at all.”
Exasperated, I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.