Friday, May 19, 2006

So because I don't want to make 5 differents posts,

I'm putting everything in one. hehe. It's my blog and I can do it if I want to, do it if I want to....

I've talked about this before and I'm sure you've heard of them by now: Child Soldiers otherwise known as "night commuters". A new documentary is out called Journey into the Sunset that I haven't seen myself yet seen, but it's on my wishlist. I agree with the commenter at the end of the Alternet article, What can you say?



And since we just can't stop at ignoring the atrocities happening in other countries not brought on by us, let us move to those that are: Guantanamo Bay.
GENEVA - The United States should close its prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and avoid using secret detention facilities in the war on terror, the U.N. panel that monitors compliance with the world's anti-torture treaty said Friday.
I'm wondering how often the Shrubites need to be told to knock this illegal shit off. Of course, if we actually belonged to the Geneva Convention, maybe the UN would have more clout.



Now let us move on to a different kind of war: birth control a.k.a. contraception. It's not good enough that abortion is now illegal in South Dakota and appx 11 other states have the same legislation pending, they want to knock out access to birth control, too. I love that the title of the article is The War on Sex. We have The War on Terror, The War on Drugs, The War on Poverty so why not include sex into all that war talk?

Only it's not a War on Sex, it's a War on Women since, hey, let's face it, we women are the only ones who can get pregnant and those pro-lifers aren't out to look after all the unwanted children that come as a result of both abortion and contraceptives being illegal.

Seriously though, I'm not calling myself "pre-pregnant" despite what the new federal guidelines are, mainly because my body is done having kids, but also because this generic form of Handmaid's Tale speak negates the experiences of each individual woman. Maybe she can't get pregnant despite her best efforts? Maybe her uterus isn't a place fit for a growing fetus? Maybe she was misdiagnosed by a faulty health-care system and ended up having a hysterectomy?

I wonder if Margaret Atwood is sitting in her house right now saying to herself, My book was supposed to be fiction. It wasn't supposed to actually happen!