Monday, March 14, 2005

Falsifying History

That's what the new book The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History supposedly does and by reading some of the exerpts, I'm inclined to agree. Anyone that would leave out 200 years of an expansive slavery movement is not a reliable author in my mind.

It is interesting when you read some of the reviews on Amazon, too, as they seem to support everything that Woods describes as being written by left-wing extremist nutballs.

As said on Slate, "The book's title gives a clue to its agenda." That paragraph goes further to state that anyone using the phrase "politically incorrect" is using it as an excuse for their (often) brutal honesty and uses it against us lefties who tend to use Politically Correct language, you know, the kind that includes others and let's everyone know that we are supposed to be a team here....

I urge you to read the link and if you need something a little more balanced, try this book. It was introduced to me through a class a few years back and I loved it. To the best of my knowledge, it was not meant to subscribe to any one political agenda, but to merely lay the facts out as truthful as can be done.

(Warning: repeating myself) I myself know that any history book that does not include the Slave Trade is false from the beginning. It's like saying that the Holocaust never happened or that women were never the matriarch.