Friday, March 11, 2005

Race and 'Rights'

You know, I'm not even sure what to say to this. George Will is almost completely dismissing the real need to have a U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. He claims that they have no power, yet is that because they aren't given any because they are a committee that is supposed to look out for the rights of all human beings, especially minorities?

I have to admit my own bias when reading anything by George Will, especially if his subject is women and/or race relations. He seems almost entirely ignorant of the reality that race is still a large issue when it comes to civil rights. One only has to google "Race and 'Rights'" to see how race has not only effected the U.S., but how race has been effected by the U.S.

It was just last month that I found an article in the Washington Post about Race Being a Factor in Texas Stops. Seriously, as I said here, is it really that much of a surprise?

Then there is what the NYT's reported on: Women and Minorities Still Not Hired as Frequently in Ivy League Schools. (of course, now you have to pay to see the whole thing, sorry!)

The two above examples are from February 25th and March 1st, respectively. And George Will (I think), is saying that a Civil Right's Commission is not needed? Granted that it has been ridled with problems and it needs a new leader, but it could be given the power to do what it was originally created for.

George Will and Gerald Reynolds only relegate civil right's to African-Americans (or black - everyone subscribes to a different way of identifying themselves). They fail to realize that civil rights are basic human rights and that emcompasses everyone who is a minority or oppressed within the current U.S. political system: black, asian, hispanic, russian, italian, white women, homosexuals and persons with disabilities (I'm sure that I am missing someone, but you get the point).

Agh, I can't even think right now this article has me so flabbergasted. Maybe I'll come back to it later.