Monday, June 12, 2006

New Beginnings

I'm blogging today from my new computer at my new job. Yay!

So far it's really cool and I know I'm going to like it. It will also afford me some necessary experience to climb the non-profit ladder if you know what I mean.

Of course, starting today didn't come without life stresses to test my resolve.

For the 2 weeks prior to starting, I called approximately 7 after-school programs, getting a 'no' from each one when I asked if they could take my beloved Peanut for just 1 week. Next week his usual after-school care opens back up and school ends so I will be able to breathe a little easier.

Yesterday afternoon, however, Peanut came in from outside complaining of a headache and sore throat. Sighing and fighting him almost the whole way, we got in the car and headed for Patient First where it was quickly determined that Peanut did indeed have strep throat. I looked at his tonsils because he was talking funny and saw white pussy-like spots all over them.

Yep, he definitely had strep. Wonderful.

My mom has off most Mondays so she's being the great mom that she is and watching Peanut today so I can actually start my job. Because kids with contagious bacteria running around in their blood stream have to be on antibiotics for a full 24 hours before they can return to school or daycare. I understand this policy, but when you're a single mom trying to get through school and work and you're the only 'breadwinner' in the family, it can be a little frustrating.

Although it will be a weird, sort of funky, schedule this week and it will have to be tweaked a little next week, I'm here now and I'm ready for the change.