Friday, January 20, 2006

That Peanut Guy

Wednesday, over a dinner of cheese pizza for Peanut and a Mexican pizza for me (at Taco Bell), I asked him what he had learned in school that day.

Peanut: Um, I don't remember the guys name.

Me: Benjamin Franklin? (bc this is who they had been learning about. There are lots of kites hanging in the hallways to prove it.)

Peanut: No...it's a new guy.

Me: looking at him quizzically and saying, Okay, but you gotta give me somethin'. What does he look like? Is he old? Is he dead?

Peanut: I don't remember. He had the same name as George Washington, our first President.

Me: GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER! THE PEANUT GUY!

Peanut: Yeah! That's him....

Me: He made a lot of stuff out of peanuts, like pastes, pies, butter, etc. (I sighed when he told me I was right, that it was GWC, because he's a staple in school curriculums everywhere. At least it's not African American History month yet.)

Peanut: Yeah, he was really cool.

He then proceeded to tell me about something GWC may have made but it sounded really gross so I think he was getting too many things confused. Of course I don't remember what it was now.

***********

Yesterday, upon entering the house, he said to me: Mom, babies can't get into buckets filled with water because they will die, right?

Me: Um, yeah?

We weren't discussing anything even remotely close to that subject so I have no idea where that came from.