Friday, December 30, 2005

Happy New Year!

A little early, I know, but I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Virginia Beach and hopefully the first fun New Years in at least 4 years. I plan on getting drunk and stupid, totally betraying the mommy image. And alas, I will be wearing contacts. No glasses.

I saw Memoirs of a Geisha tonight and really, I wasn't all that impressed. I don't think it had anything to do with the bad reviews I've been reading either. They just dramatized the hell out of it. Also, I don't remember Sayuri's virginity being up for sale in the book but I read it so long ago I'm not sure if I'm correctly recalling events to begin with.

Earlier this afternoon I went to a ladies house to pick up some art supplies she was getting rid of (and an easle). I had responded to her offer of an 133 piece artset on Freecycle but it had been taken already. Well, sometime during our initial emails and me picking the items up, she had gone to Michael's and, while there, bought another art set for me to give to the boy for whom these art supplies were originally for. I volunteer at the YWCA once a week and right now there is a 9yr old boy who can do fantastic things with clay (he created a snail, snake and dragon w/wings within a matter of minutes and they looked real!), pencils, etc. I asked him if art class was his favorite time of the week and he didn't hesitate with his answer of, "Yes!"

I can't wait to visit them on Monday to give them their new cool stuff!

I also sent out a want/need for certain items to help the women settle in since many move into the shelter's with just the bare essentials. When they do move into their own place, they literally have to start all over again. I think it's great that so many complete strangers have been willing to help come up with photo's, pictures, and/or little things that can help make a home, well, home.

So here's to having another great year (and to me finding a job in the next month of so). I'll talk to you again very soon, or, to be cheesy, I'll talk to you next year!