Friday, November 11, 2005

Peanutisms

This is some of our conversation had during dinner tonight at Wendy's.

Peanut: Mom, did you know Russians gave us the Statue of Liberty?

Me: It was the French.

Peanut: Oh yeah.

Me: Do you know when they gave it to us?

Peanut: (screwing up his face) Uh, when we weren't even alive?

Me: (laughing) Yep, definitely before we were alive. Do you remember why?

Peanut: For freedom....

Me: Well, kinda....

Peanut: Liberty is the fancy word for freedom.

Me: (chuckling) Yep. Did Ms. S. tell you that?

Peanut: Yep.

Then we talked about the trip we took to Hoboken, NJ and Manhatten when he was only 1 year old. I told him about how we tried to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade but he was on my at-the-time boyfriend's back and people kept pushing on him trying to move the boyfriend so I got really pissed and we left. The boyfriend and I decided that was pretty stupid so decided to take the opportunity to tour Rockefeller Plaza since most everyone was at the parade.

Upon finishing dinner, I got up to throw some of our trash away and overheard the couple sitting not that far from us trying to guess whether Peanut was a boy or a girl. I know this because I heard the guy ask something and the woman said, "Nope, it's a boy." Give me a break. But being as Peanut has now grown into a feminine-shaped face, he's gonna be plagued with the boy/girl dilemma all his life I think.

We then left to head over to the movie theatre where I had already bought tickets to Zathura. (Which has got to be the best movie I've seen so far this year, btw, even if it had 4 white boys/men and the token 1 white young woman. It's way better than Jumanji.)

As we walked up to the guy who takes the tickets, I saw a huge poster for Casanova so said it out loud 'cause it's a lot of fun to say actually, especially if you say it with the right accent. Peanut asked what it meant and I told him, "It's a fancy word for playa." The kid knew what I was talking about.

Of course, throughout dinner and the previews to the movie he was singing the one line of "holla back now." I have no idea where he got that from and when I asked, he didn't know either.