Monday, March 28, 2005

Pharmacist's Right's

I had a nice blog going about this and then my pc went nuts and so now it's gone.

I'll try to recreate but it won't be as good (or it might be better).

The trend has opened a new front in the nation's battle over reproductive rights, sparking an intense debate over the competing rights of pharmacists to refuse to participate in something they consider repugnant and a woman's right to get medications her doctor has prescribed. It has also triggered pitched political battles in statehouses across the nation as politicians seek to pass laws either to protect pharmacists from being penalized -- or force them to carry out their duties.

This is a direct attack on a womans right to birth control and/or emergency contraception. It is not up to each individual pharmacist to pass judgment onto each individual woman who needs this medication for whatever reasons.

There are the few cases where a pharmacist has even refused to tell a woman where she can get the presription filled and confiscates it instead.

I read this and of course it angered me:
Brauer, of Pharmacists for Life, defends the right of pharmacists not only to decline to fill prescriptions themselves but also to refuse to refer customers elsewhere or transfer prescriptions.

"That's like saying, 'I don't kill people myself but let me tell you about the guy down the street who does.' What's that saying? 'I will not off your husband, but I know a buddy who will?' It's the same thing," said Brauer, who now works at a hospital pharmacy.


Last time I checked, these two situations were not the same so therefore, in my world, uncomparable. Is she pro-death penalty like so many other "pro-life" zealots because if she is, she just contradicted herself. This lady is a nurse, who is held to a much stricter code of ethic than are pharmacists'.

*snip*

"The rights of pharmacists like him should be respected."

I almost snorted when I saw that. Why is it a pharmacist's rights, one who refuses to treat everyone equally, should be respected when s/he is not respecting the rights of those who are in need of her/his services?

Agh. I feel this whole argument is ridiculous since those who work in public service jobs such as doctors, pharmacists, firefighters, police officers and the like, are there to make sure we are taken care of, regardless of their personal beliefs.

Was I ever wrong.