Sunday, March 27, 2005

Harlem Globetrotters

We went to see them today and it really was a great experience. They did the usual tricks and stuff; most of them were in college somewhere in the U.S.

As they were introducing the players (the lights were down and the colored strobes were going), my niece looked at me and said, "I don't like this because it's freakin' me out." When they actually played a game and scored, Peanut would shout "BooYah!" When they would do an interesting dunk, he would excitedly exclaim, "I saw that on the dunk contest mom!"

I have a sports freak on my hands, which is okay because I like basketball (and sometimes football) myself. I'm hoping he goes mainly for the basketball since that I can tolerate as there aren't any mass amounts of lethal blocking involved.

Then I went out and got Peanut a "jersey" and a Globetrotter basketball. He loved them both and after the show was over, we got the ball signed. What I didn't realize then, is that the infamous Curly "Boo" Johnson was in the corner my sister decided to get in (Peanut had to use the bathroom 30 seconds before the end of the game) and his signature is now on our ball. This ball, upon truly realizing the implications of that man's signature, will forever be enshrined at our house and not allowed outside for play time, a fate of which Peanut was most depressed in finding out.

I didn't realize that Curly was also the man, who used to be very bald, who would show up on the Scooby Doo cartoons on occasions with other Globetrotters.

We thought the kids would only last for half the show, but they ended up wanting to stick around for the entire thing, only showing signs of boredom and restlessness in the 4th quarter (the quarters, btw, were only 10 min long and they had special "time outs"). Peanut just wanted to dribble his basketball.