Friday, June 30, 2006

Friday Random Ten: the "I'm Tired of Women Getting the Short Stick" version

And I don't mean because they are underrepresented in my music collection, because they aren't. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you haven't been paying attention.

1. Fighter by Christina Aguilera
2. Ladies First by Queen Latifah
3. Dear Mr. President by Tupac
4. Goodbye Earl by the Dixie Chicks
5. True Colors by Cyndi Lauper
6. Independence Day by Martina McBride
7. Volcano Edie Brickell
8. Somebody's Gettin' on my Nerves by Salt n' Pepa
9. Only You Know by Veruca Salt
10. Free Your Mind by En Vogue

Bonus Track: Nobody's Listening by Linkin Park. Its how I've been feeling lately what with women's rights going down the tubes all kinds of speedy quick and there is always my neverending complaint that DV needs to be a felony everywhere with a Child Endangerment clause stuck in for good measure.

Bonus Bonus Track: Holy Water by Big and Rich. This is a tribute to their sisters bout with Domestic Violence and, in conjuction with the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV), helped get Love Everybody up and running.

Just so ya know, these didn't pop up randomly. I choose them in order to make a definitive statement about my ongoing concerns that if more women were taught their life doesn't need to revolve around a man, especially one who beats them (emotionally, verbally and/or physically), and that being an independent, autonomous person is actually a good thing, our world might be a different, better place.