Thursday, September 22, 2005

custody and court

I went to court this morning to amend the custody arrangement between me and my ex husband. Whew! Let's just say I'm glad that's over with.

In the end, the 2 week increments still stand and I get Peanut for the first full week out of school and the 2 weeks before schools starts (this part isn't completely clear but I think that's what he said). The middle part is us sharing in 2 week intervals but both the judge and I recognized that it's never going to work out perfectly. Heh.

Then the xmas schedule was figured out. In previous years, I was driving to Virginia Beach, 2 hours of my time with Peanut, to get him to his dad by 1pm on xmas day. I'm not doing that anymore and I knew that he wouldn't be happy which is why I brought it up in front of the judge only. We figured it out though with relative ease. At one point though, my ex told the judge we needed "more time" since it was new information, etc. Hah! The judge said what I was thinking, "We're here now to decide this. You don't get more time." duh.

So all that was relatively painless. When we left, I realized I had forgotten to bring up my other issues. What I decided to do instead was tell my ex about my concerns one more time. If this time he does not buy any clothes for Peanut or get Peanut his own bed, we'll be back in court. 'Cause you see, his response is, "Just do what you gotta do Nut." If he would just do what he's supposed to do, I wouldn't have to petition the court to amend in the first place.

Oh, this court date came out of his extreme inability to figure out an arrangement this past summer. Ex thought since he missed a few days he'd just take some extras but without talking to me about it first. He waited 'til he had Peanut and told me he was keeping him 2 extra days. Period.

After that, I filed a Petition to Amend at the JD court where I live because I didn't want to go through this every fucking summer. And now it's done. Now we both have to follow the order with no if's and's or but's. Honestly, I'm so relieved because now I won't have to worry about it anymore.